Saturday, May 15, 2010

Response to classmates on Teacher Tenure

Humaira Z said...

This is an issue. I feel that the added pressure to standardized tests takes away from students learning and developing skills that they will need for college. Many students that do graduate from my high school do not know how to write MLA research papers, expository essays, thematic essays- the list can continue. The students are very underprepared for college. The English regents is also a 6 hour long test, 3 hours each day. It is long and tiring. The students that do very well on the English regents are usually honors students who are required to have two class periods of English every single academic year, while the rest of the student population has one period of English. These students need the extra class, but resources are not given to them because my school just wants them to graduate and get them out of the school. I feel as if we are failing the majority of the student population.

To comment on Barbara's responses, I agree with you entirely on measuring students progress from the beginning og the term to the end. I have proposed that, but, there are too many types of students that will need different types of tests and we do not have the funding to do it. It is a mess!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment